Exchange Bank, Milledgeville, Georgia, was chartered May 20, 1903, and began business on June 3, 1903 in a building located at 120 West Hancock Street. In August 1907, the bank offices were relocated to 100 East Hancock Street and occupied the street level of the Masonic Building. In June 1949, the bank moved to 208 West Hancock Street. The first major expansion of facilities came with the construction of the Southside Office at 1000 South Wayne Street, which was opened for business in September 1963. The drive-in facility at 120 South Liberty was completed in September 1967. Another giant step was the completion of the Northside Office at 2400 North Columbia Street. This office was opened for business on April 10, 1972. On Monday, December 11, 1978, the bank again relocated its operations to the new main office building at 250 West Hancock Street. The Northside Office on Columbia Street (Milledgeville Mall) was enlarged to provide space for the first Automated Teller Machine (ATM) in Milledgeville, which became operational in the fall of 1979. A second ATM was installed in the Main Office in the spring of 1981. The Main Office was renovated during 1989, with the completion of the ground level for a Board of Directors room, training room, offices and operation areas. The Main Office was renovated again during 2007 completely renovating the main lobby and adding additional office space.
New drive-in facilities at the Main Office were completed in 1994. At this time, a new drive-up ATM was also installed. In 1996, we completed a new drive-in facility and drive-up ATM at our Northside Office. In April 1998, our branch facility, Exchange Bank of Jones County opened in Gray, Georgia and in May 2004 Exchange Bank of Lake Oconee opened in Greene County. Due to a decline in economic activity in the Southside area, a decision was made to close our Southside Office facility on December 31, 2013. We are excited to announce that we will be opening Exchange Bank of Lake Sinclair, a state-of-the-art banking operation in 2015-2016 in the Kroger Shopping Center in Milledgeville.
Exchange Investment Services, Inc. began operating on December 1, 2003, and offers full brokerage services.
Exchange Bank has exercised a position of financial leadership throughout the years. The continued growth and expansion of service is attributed to an aggressive policy, which has been characteristic of Exchange Bank since its organization: Customers come first and Exchange Bank has been first to provide new banking services. We are proud that we have more locations in the Middle Georgia area than any other bank in Milledgeville, with four locations to serve our customers. It is through service and convenience that we attract new customers and maintain the loyalty of the established ones.
Sound financial management, a working Board of Directors and the teamwork of all employees have enabled Exchange Bank to survive depressions, wars and periods of inflation. Eight presidents have guided this bank since its inception:
- 1903-1927: Mr. John Conn, First President
- 1927-1958: Mr. Otto M. Conn, Founder and Second President
- 1958-1979: Mr. John E. Garner, Jr., Third President
- 1979-1994: Mr. Otto C. Morrison, Fourth President
- 1994-1996: Mr. William D. Hart, Fifth President
- 1997-2003: Mr. M. W. “Buster” Milner, Sixth President
- 2004-2005: Mr. Henry J. Pope, Jr., CEO and Bradley P. Serff, President
- 2005-Present: Mr. Henry J. Pope, Jr., CEO and President